Hundreds of photos, dozens of stories

That’s what I have to share from the past few weeks. It’s too much to deal with all at once, especially while I have to work, so I’ve decided to go at it in reverse chronological order, roughly. I’ve uploaded my photos from Lijiang, the final stop on my short trip to Yunnan with my brother, to flickr and to an album here. As soon as I get a chance, I’ll write a bit about their context, but for now here are a couple of my favorite shots from our two days in that ancient town, home to the Naxi culture.

Posted by on March 30th, 2006

10 Comments »

Otis said

March 31, 2006 @ 10:44 pm

Ali,

I just wanted to let you know how much I have continued to enjoy reading about your travels throughout China. The vibrant colors in your photos is stunning. Thank you for sharing.

ali said

April 8, 2006 @ 1:59 pm

Hey, thanks, Otis! I promise to keep posting.

UB said

April 18, 2006 @ 8:14 am

Hello Zen Master … aka Honeypie:

I love the photos and stories … you are truly very talented. I sent a link to my friends for their enjoyment.

Take care.

UB

ali said

April 21, 2006 @ 10:50 pm

Hey UB–thanks! Glad you’re enjoying (and sharing) my blog :).

May 20, 2006 @ 8:55 am

Chiming in to say that you are taking some really interesting photos in China. Very vibrant, as Otis says. I just discovered your blog (via Flickr), but how did you end up there? You promised context….. :)

ali said

May 25, 2006 @ 8:47 am

Thanks, Seth! I promise I’ll try to do better on context….I’m at work all day in front of a computer, so it’s kind of hard to come home and blog :).

lonnie said

June 11, 2006 @ 3:28 am

Perfect shots…

I need to send my 20D to obedience classes.

Loved the Dali info’…I have a friend who co-owns an coffee shop/bar there….I cannot wait to visit…

Great blog!

November 13, 2006 @ 10:30 pm

[…] The Laos-China Border In contrast to the Paris-China Border (and if you don’t know the reference, get thee to Amazon for a copy of Salinger’s Nine Stories post haste), the Laos-China Border is a very real liminal space, one which I traversed this afternoon, partly on foot and partly in the back of a saengthaew, or a truck that’s been refitted to carry passengers as well as produce in its nether regions. I had left Beijing on a 7:30am flight on Sunday, sleeping my way across the waking giant to Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, through which my brother J. and I had passed on our way to Daliand Lijiang back in March. From there I hopped another plane to Jinghong, the capital of Xishuangbanna Prefecture in the very south of the province, verging on both Myanmar and Laos. […]

Melina said